The Town of Dillon was incorporated Jan. 26, 1883 at the site of a trading post and stage stop. The town has moved three times: once to be closer to the railroad and a second time to be located between three rivers: the Blue, the Ten Mile and the Snake.
The third move began in 1956 when the Denver Water Board told the townspeople they must sell their property and be out of town by 1961. The final location for the town was selected on the shore of the new reservoir, where the town continues to thrive today.
The town of Dillon is a full-service community with a year-round residential and seasonal population of 2,766. Dillon¹s beautiful location in the heart of Summit County provides an unrivaled scenic backdrop for an abundance of summer activities. Its close proximity to Summit County¹s ski areas makes it a convenient lodging choice for winter vacationers. The many condominiums and motel rooms bring the peak population to about 5,200 people.
The Dillon Town Center is home to many Summit County businesses, dining and entertainment opportunities: Dillon Reservoir, Dillon Marina offering boat rental, kayak and Stand-Up Paddle Board rentals, sailing lessons and guided sailboat tours and a seasonal lakeside bar and grill, post office, bowling alley, movie theatre and multiple parks featuring playgrounds, community spaces, ball field and hiking and biking trails and historical School House Museum.
The Dillon Ridge Market Place and surrounding commercial stores, on Highway 6, are a mix of local and national businesses offering groceries, a movie theater, restaurants, sporting goods, fitness, pilates, yoga studios, and more.
Although Dillon has retained much of its small-town charm, it¹s definitely not sleepy. Summer in Dillon is unrivaled for family activities, with boating in Lake Dillon, Swing and Country Dance Nights, Friday Farmers Markets and free weekend concerts at the open-air Lake Dillon Amphitheatre. Enjoy the vistas, fresh air and pocket parks while enjoying more than 25 miles of paved recreation path that circles the lake.