COVID-19 Updates & Most Recent Information. Latest COVID-19 Public Health announcements, community resources, updates and how we can all do our part to flatten the curve.

Grading and Excavation Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

When is a Grading and Excavation Permit required?

In General, a permit is required anytime a contractor or homeowner uses an excavator, backhoe or shovel to dig a hole within Town Limits. 

Permits are required for:

  • All Utility Work including water, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, gas, electric, cable, etc...
  • Foundation Drains and excavations around foundations
  • Grading Projects
  • Retaining Wall installations over 24' in height
  • Excavations for new foundations and structures
  • Creation of Berms
  • Drainage Improvements
  • Swale and Ditch installation
  • Anytime drainage is directed in a new direction. 

All construction work that is proposed within Town of Dillon Right-of-Way also requires a grading and excavation permit.  Grading Permit Codes


Do I need a Grading and Excavation Permit for emergency repairs on sanitary and sewer service lines?

Absolutely! Please call the Emergency Water On-Call number at (970) 513-3340, and the on-call representative will help you get started on your emergency repair. 

Does landscaping require a Grading and Excavation Permit?

The planting of trees, shrubs and flowers does not require a Grading and Excavation permit. The homeowner or landscape contractor is still required to obtain utility locates before digging, by calling the Utility Notification Center of Colorado at 811.

However, any landscaping activities that involve regrading, construction of retaining walls or the creation of berms will require a Grading and Excavation Permit.

How do I get a Grading and Excavation Permit?

Grading and Excavation Permits are issued by the Town Engineer who can be reached at (970) 262-3405. Applications for a Grading and Excavation Permit must be submitted a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the start work date

The applicant may be a property owner or a contractor who plans to do grading and excavation work within the Town limits. The application shall include a plan of the proposed work for the Town Engineer's review. Click on the link below to get a copy of the Grading and Excavation Permit Application Form. 

The non-refundable application fee in 2016 is $5 and is separate from the actual Grading and Excavation Permit fee which is $55 and non-refundable. Click Here for the Grading and Excavation Permit Application Form.

Traffic Control plans and copies of flagger certifications are typically required for work within the Town Right-of-Way.

What times of the year can I get an Grading and Excavation Permit?

Section 18-1-50 of the Dillon Town Code only allows Town Staff to issue Grading and Excavation Permits between April 1st and October 31st of each year. If a permit is required during the winter months, the applicant may request a variance from the Dillon Town Council. Please contact the Town Engineer at (970) 262-3405 for additional information.

The public work director is authorized to issue a permit for emergency repairs of water and sewer service lines during the winter months.

How long is a Grading and Excavation Permit in effect?


What if my project will require multiple construction seasons?

For construction projects that extend through multiple permit seasons, a new permit will be issued the following year at no additional charge. NO work is allowed in Town ROW during the winter months. All water and sewer service work must be completed prior to the expiration date of the permit.

Are any other permits required? 

A Development Permit maybe required from the Planning Department depending on the type of work being done. Most utility repair work will not require this additional development permit. Please call (970) 262-3421 to discuss your project with the Town Planner.  Click here for Building Permits

A State of Colorado Construction Stormwater Permit or Construction Dewatering Permit may also be required for your project depending on the size and scope of the proposed work. Please click the following link for more information:  CDPHE Construction Stormwater & Dewatering Permits

Erosion Control Requirements during Construction

The applicant and property owner are required to use best management practices (BMPs) on all construction projects no matter how big or small to prevent sediment from leaving the construction site.

Some of the most common BMPs that are required on most projects are Silt Fence, Inlet Protection and Vehicle Tracking Pads. Please submit an erosion control plan or include BMPs on your grading plan and include them with your Grading and Excavation permit application. Failure to do so will cause a delay in the issuance of a permit. Please refer to the following guide for additional information and ideas:

Summit Water Quality Erosion and Sediment Control Manual