The Town of Dillon implemented an ordinance specifically regulating the licensing of tobacco product retailers and increasing the minimum legal sales age to 21 years of age. The ordinance implementing the new Tobacco Product Retailer License application, fee and regulations within the Town limits was approved by Council on August 6, 2019 with an effective date of November 1, 2019. The Tobacco Product Retailer license application will be available by October 14, 2019 with the fee not due until November 15, 2019.
- If you are selling or distributing tobacco products, you are operating a Tobacco Product Retail Location.
- Tobacco Product is any product which contains, is made or derived from tobacco or used to deliver nicotine or other substances intended for human consumption, whether heated, chewed, absorbed, dissolved, inhaled, snorted, sniffed or ingested by any other means, including, but not limited to Cigarettes, cigars, little cigars, chewing tobacco, pipe tobacco, snuff, bidis, snus, mints, hand gels; or an Electronic Smoking Device. Tobacco Product also includes any component, part, accessory or associated paraphernalia of a nicotine product whether or not sold separately.
- Each Tobacco Product Retail Location must apply for a Tobacco Product Retail License and pay a fee of $600 by November 1 of each year.
- Tobacco Products shall not be sold or transferred to any person under the minimum legal sales age of twenty-one (21) years of age.
- No refund shall be made to any Licensee who discontinues business during the licensing year and no License shall be transferable.
- Any Tobacco Product Retail Location must also obtain a business license and pay an occupational tax of $60 by January 1 of each year.
If you have any questions, please contact our Town Clerk.
Related Links & Information:
- Application for Tobacco Product Retailer License
- Pay Tobacco Product Retailer License Online (Available October 14, 2019)
- Sales Tax Information
- Business License Information & Application
- Ordinance No. 07-19 - An ordinance amending chapter 6 of the Dillon Municipal Code by adding article XII regarding the licensing of tobacco product retailers.