What is a Short-Term Rental (STR)? A short-term rental is a residential dwelling unit, or any room therein that is rented for periods of less than 30 consecutive days. This includes hotels, apartment hotels, motels, lodging houses, motor hotels, guest houses, guest ranches, trailer coaches, mobile homes, auto camps, time share units, condominium units, town homes, trailer courts, private residences, or any such similar place.
Is my property within the Town limits of Dillon? Dillon town limits are not determined by your zip code. The subdivisions of Dillon Valley, Keystone, Summerwood or Summit Cove are NOT in the Town of Dillon. They are in unincorporated Summit County and you should contact their offices for information regarding short term rentals. To determine whether your property is in Dillon, unincorporated Summit County, or another municipality, visit the Summit County Assessor’s website: http://gis.summitcountyco.gov/Map/
How do I apply for a STR license? The application and associated forms are available at: https://www.townofdillon.com/business-resources/dillon-short-term-rental-str
What do I need to do to apply for a STR License?
- Complete the Application for a Short-Term Rental License
- Submit the application to the Town along with payment for the STR License
- Payments can be made through Xpress Bill Pay by accessing the Town’s website at https://www.townofdillon.com/i-want-to/pay-your-bill
The total sales tax rate to collect on your short-term rental sales is 8.875%
- Town of Dillon – 2.5%
- State of Colorado – 2.9%
- Summit County – 2.0%
- Summit County Transit tax – 0.75%
- Summit Combined Housing Authority– 0.725%
The lodging tax rate to collect on your short-term rental sales is 2.0%
- Town of Dillon – 2.0%
Where do I submit my monthly or quarterly taxes?
- The lodging tax is remitted directly to the Town of Dillon. Town of Dillon Lodging Tax can be filed and paid at: https://www.townofdillon.com/i-want-to/pay-your-bill
- A lodging tax return must be filed every month or quarter even if there is no tax to remit. Forms are due by the 20thof the month for the preceding month.
- The total sales tax is to be remitted to the The Colorado Department of Revenue. The Secretary of State issues trade names and can be reached at 855-428-3555 or visit them online. State application forms and general information for conducting business in Colorado is available by calling 303-238-7378. Colorado Business Registration forms, CR100, and instructions are available on the state's website, www.taxcolorado.com.
Why do I need to provide responsible contact information for my short-term rental property? All short-term rental properties will be required to provide contact information for a responsible agent to their guests and the Town of Dillon. The Town will be participating in the countywide call center beginning in April 2019 and the call center will need up-to-date information for the person to contact in the event of a complaint and/or emergency.
Are there any requirements on advertising the property? The current ordinance requires that you post your Town of Dillon Short-Term License Number on all advertising (print, online, etc.).
What other information is required for the STR application?
- Property Address
- Property Owner Name
- Sales Tax Filing Information
- Responsible Agent Contact Information
- Self-Affidavit of Operable Life Safety Devices
- Parking and Trash/Recycling Information
Do I need a business license for my short-term rental? The Short-Term Rental License does not replace the business license requirement. A business license is required for the person or company that is remitting the sales and lodging taxes. If you use a property manager, the property manager is required to obtain the business license. If you manage your own unit, you will be required to apply for a business license and a short-term license.
When do the new regulations begin? The new requirements will begin on January 1, 2019 and will require that you have a valid Short-Term Rental (STR) License issued to you by April 1, 2019.
Where can I find more information about the new rules and regulations for short term rentals located in Dillon? Visit our website at https://www.townofdillon.com/business-resources/dillon-short-term-rental-str.
Related Links & Information:
- Application for Short Term Rental License
- Short Term Rental (STR) Regulations
- Lodging Tax Form
- Lodging Tax Information
- Pay Lodging Tax Online
- Pay Short-Term Rental License Online
- Business License Information & Application
- Ordinance No. 09-18 - An ordinance amending chapter 6 of the Dillon Municipal Code by adding article XI regarding the licensing of short-term rental units.
Still have questions? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org