Bike To Work Day
Bike to Work Day
- Date: 06/26/2019 7:00 AM - 10:00 AM
- Introduction: Summit County and the Physical Activity and Nutrition Team of the Summit (PANTS) invite the community to participate in the 2019 Bike to Work Day on Wednesday, June 26. Bicycle commuters can receive free breakfast, get simple tune-ups by local bike mechanics and be entered into prize drawings.
“Bike to Work Day is a chance for Summit residents to come together in celebration of Summit County’s fantastic Recpath system, our silver-level Bicycle-Friendly Community status and a recreational activity that’s such a big part of life here in our community,” County Commissioner Karn Stiegelmeier said. “This event can also jumpstart your bike-commuting habit, which has great environmental benefits, reduces stress and boosts physical fitness.”
Summit County has celebrated Bike to Work Day since 2010, and hundreds of commuters participate annually. PANTS began partnering with the County in 2014, helping to grow the event’s participation and activity offerings.
All cyclists are welcome to stop by any (or all) of the eight breakfast stations between 7 and 10 a.m. for free coffee, juice, muffins, bagels and other breakfast items. The breakfast stations will be at the following locations:
• Breckenridge: Blue River Plaza
• Frisco: Summit County Commons, Main Branch Library entrance, 0037 Peak One Dr.
• Frisco: Frisco Historic Park, Main Street and Second Avenue
• Silverthorne: Silverthorne Pavilion
• Dillon: Marina Park near Lodgepole Lane on the Recpath
• Keystone: The Keystone Employee Center, 21799 Highway 6
• Summit Cove: Recpath at the intersection of Highway 6 and Swan Mountain Road.
The community is invited to continue the celebration of Bike to Work Day at three locations in the evening.
• The Town of Silverthorne is hosting Bikes & Beer at The Bakers' Brewery from 5-7 p.m.
• The Frisco Chapter of the Summit Chamber will host a bike-in mixer from 5-7 p.m. at the Island Grill at Frisco Bay Marina.
• The Breckenridge Tourism Office is organizing a bike-in movie from 7-10 p.m. at the Breckenridge Arts District.
“Summit County Open Space & Trails and PANTS have done an amazing job expanding this event over the past several years,” Stiegelmeier said. “Hundreds of Summit County workers saddle up for Bike to Work Day. Many of them realize how much they like it, and they continue to commute by bicycle multiple times throughout the summer.”
To make bike commuting easy and safe, Summit County Open Space & Trails offers the following tips:
• Pack your bag of work clothes and other items you’ll need the night before. This minimizes prep time and logistical details on the morning of your commute.
• Ensure your bicycle is safe to ride (air in the tires, brakes working, chain lubed, etc.)
• Contact the Summit County Open Space & Trails Department ahead of time if you need assistance planning a bicycle route to your workplace.
• Check the weather forecast the night before so you can make the right clothing and gear choices; early morning bike rides at high elevations may require a warm outer layer and gloves. Be prepared for afternoon showers on the way home.
• Don’t forget your helmet!