Dillon Reservoir is a prime location for summer or winter fishing. The lake is home to Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout, Kokanee Salmon and Arctic Char. With 26 miles of shoreline, finding a nice secluded spot to cast is not a problem. Click here for current fishing conditions.
A brief history of fishing conditions on Dillon Reservoir
The mysis shrimp was introduced into Dillon Reservoir in 1970 as a food source to fatten trout and salmon. But the small nocturnal crustaceans missed the trout’s daytime feeding patterns and began eating all of the zooplankton — leaving salmon and trout hungry and small.
The Arctic char was introduced to the reservoir in 1990 to see if they would feed on the shrimp — a main part of their diet. Colorado Parks and Wildlife manages the fishery; Arctic char was stocked in Dillon in 1990, 1992, 1996, 1998 and 2008 to 2011. The reservoir is the only public fishery in the lower 48 states outside of Maine where anglers have a chance of landing the prized fish.
The fishing ecosystem at Dillon Reservoir has been steadily improving since the early 90's thanks in part to the introduction of Arctic Char by the Colorado Division of Wildlife. Typically found only in Arctic waters, this cold-water fish — a species of trout — has helped turn the reservoir into an angler’s paradise.
More about fishing on Dillon Reservoir:
- Lake Dillon Reservoir is annually stocked with approximately 50,000 rainbow trout by the Colorado Division of Wildlife
- Any person 15 years or older must have a valid fishing license.
- Colorado Division of Wildlife regulations are enforced and are available for review from any of the Division's authorized agents.
- Fishing is allowed on water surface of the reservoir and most if its 25 miles of shoreline.
- It is unlawful to fish from the dam structure, closed areas, bridges or boat ramps.
View the 2016 Colorado Parks & Wildlife Fishing Guide for info regarding getting or renewing your 2016 Fishing License, bag and possession limits, to check the essential gear guide and to get other helpful information.